Sunday, February 17, 2008

Who Cares About Persecuted Christians?


Right now as I sit in the comfort of my house typing, there are Christians being tortured in prisons across the world because of their faith in Jesus Christ. Yesterday I finished reading Pastor Richard Wurmbrand's book, Tortured for Christ and he challenges us in the free world to do something to impact the lives of those who are suffering for their faith and counting it a privilege and joy. That is hard for us to understand, because we complain when our biggest tribulation is a windstorm knocking a shutter off our house (okay that might not be you - but it was me last week).

So what are some ways we can make a difference?

1. Pray and fast for our brothers and sisters. In Pastor Wurmbrand's book he asked why his tongue cried out when his feet were beat - the answer is they are part of the same body. We are part of the body and we should be crying out to God on their behalf.

2. Donating Bibles or money for Bibles through your local church or through Voice of the Martyrs.

3. Donating to programs like World Mission Broadcast so they can share the gospel through radio, television and the internet in the languages of those who need and want God's Word desperately.

4. Write letters to Christians who are currently jailed for their beliefs. This site provides information and will translate parts of your letter into the language of the prisoner. Letters from the West encourage the prisoners to hold on to Jesus and His promises and let them know that their brothers and sisters care.

Voice of the Martyrs suggests that money not be sent to prisoners or their families because VOM has ways to make sure those who need them receive the resources. Money can be donated through Voice of the Martyrs or your local church.

“Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.” Hebrews 13:3

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray for the christians around the world who are persecuted. They are always on my heart, and always a reminder that we need to be so much more thankful and grateful for the privileges we have to worship openly and to speak to others.

Thanks for the link that really helped!! Love you Princess!,Darla

Robin said...

Hi Darla,

I just typed a long message to you and it disappeared - ughh... Oh well, here we go again...

Reading Tortured for Christ really brought the plight of the persecuted church back to the forefront of my heart. I had links for them on my blog before reading the book because of another book I read last year a novel, by Randy Alcorn - Safely Home. I posted about both books at my "Reading Room" blog. I love to read and be challenged - can't say I always do all that I'm challenged with, but God and I are working on making me more like HIM one day at a time.

Indian Lake Papa said...

This is something I need to check on. We think we are persecuted - but not really so - we have tremendous religious freedom.

Gina Witcher / Runnermom4 said...

Thanks for highlighting this. I use to get their magazine and prayed regularly for them. I will have to look into this again. I think often of persecuted Christians, but I get very overwhelmed emotionally and can't function in my world, so I need to seek God on how I might get involved again without being overwhelmed.

Robin said...

The book tortured for Christ wasn't graphic in describing the torture, just enough to let us know its there and its bad - BUT that is makes those who suffer stronger. More importantly it tells us of ways we can help. Prayer and Fasting are obvious. Then there are Blanket and Bible drives, letters to write to prisoners and money that can be given to World Mission Broadcast and other Radio programs that reach into the far corners of the world.

I understand what you are saying about getting overwhelmed in your world...

Sometimes I feel horrible as I'm sitting down to a beautiful meal at church and I think of those who are doing without for multitudes of different reasons...

Many people are doing things for them and to much sacrifice, but what are we, you and me called to do... that is a question each of us must seek God on and wait for HIS answer and follow HIM.

Another good book is Safely Home by Randy Alcorn - if you go to my Reading Room blog I posted about it and a free book give away contest the author is having for that book.

Pray for me as I try to be open to God's leading...

Moses Gunner said...

Christians are under attack in America! Take Grand Theft Jesus: The Hijacking of Religion in America. Written by Robert S. McElvaine for example. This worthless"historian" attempts to attack Christians with the bible! This book is likely to be the reference book of the Anti-Chris. I found this great review of Grand Theft Jesus that tears the arguments Dr. McElvaine to shreds.