Sunday, February 3, 2008

Daniel's Journey

Daniel and his mom in 1997

As mentioned in a previous entry, Daniel's mom, Laura sang Bring the Rain on January 27th as a testimony to God while a video of Daniel's journey thus far played in the background. I tried to load the video here, but it didn't work for some reason, so I will use the pictures instead.

Daniel and his dad in 1997


Daniel was born prematurely on Sunday, July 6, 1997 at 22 weeks gestation because there was a tear in the amniotic sac. The sac dropped into the birth canal and since his mother was diagnosed with Group B Strep Daniel had to be delivered early to prevent infection in both mother and baby. He was in NICU for four months in Washington DC.

Daniel in NICU 1997


"For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be." ~ Psalm 139:13-16

Daniel 10 weeks after birth - September 15, 1997



Because Daniel was born so early he suffers with several disabilities. He was diagnosed with Retinopathy ROP – meaning his retina was detached at birth, which resulted in his blindness. He had a grade 4-brain bleed, which is why he has a seizure disorder and scarring on his temporal lobes. Daniel was also diagnosed with autism a couple years ago and is severely delayed cognitively. Inspite of each of those issues Daniel is a delightful boy who loves to worship and brings a smile to anyone near as he sings about Jesus. He helps us to remember what is really important in life.

Daniel following his baptism with his Dad on July 7, 2007 one day after his tenth birthday.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

6 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

God will use Daniel in many ways to teach those that enter Daniels circle of life. Sometimes the things we think are handicaps on others are God's tools He gave individuals to teach us. Robin, you are a student of Daniel, learn well.

bdodge said...

Wow! I didn't know we were supposed to check over here for updates - as always - I need to read more carefully! We are still praying and thankful that Daniel seems to be doing well!

~Bev~ said...

Wow Robin, what an amazing little boy! I have been checking your blog daily for updates! Thanks for keeping us posted.
My little Arwen was preemie, but she was the healthiest little baby {and the biggest} in the NICU. Babies like Daniel really make us appreciate God's awesome blessings!

jel said...

Morning!

thanks for sharing these pictures


sending a flybyhugging your way, and please pass it on! :)

Destini said...

Thank you for the update. I am amazed as always at God's infinite wisdom. He takes people whom the world deems as imperfect and uses them in HIS perfect plan to teach us about the simple things in life that we take for granted. I am continuing to pray for his healing and comfort post surgery. Hug his family for me when you get a chance!

Anonymous said...

What a handsome boy who is so clearly a gift to his family and friends. This family is such an inspiration to others who are reading this story. The baptism picture is priceless. Love and prayers for Daniel and his parents and brothers! Thank you for posting updates.
Bonnie (found your blog through Nate's)