Friday, January 18, 2008

Work and Witness

My church is very active in missions. We have missionaries living all over the world to share God's love. We also participate in short term missions - Work & Witness trips Concerned individuals travel to a specific location (in or out of the country) to construct churches, schools and medical facilities. They donate their time and technical or other specialized services. Team members are also involved in evangelistic outreach (such as showing the Jesus film or running a VBS program) and various compassionate ministries projects.

Youth and adults from our church helped with the Hurricane Katrina Relief work (Disaster Relief). This spring four members (Mark, David, Lorraine, and Roz) of our congregation are traveling to Ethiopia to work on a construction project and to show the Jesus Film. A second trip is planned in Guatemala for early this summer. A third trip is planned for Alaska in July. The last trip is the one I'm about to learn a lot more about because this past Sunday, my husband said he felt God leading him to go on that trip. He will need to raise approximately $2,000 for the trip. About $1,500 will go towards airfare, food and lodging while the remaining $500 will be for construction costs.

Please be in prayer for all the volunteers who will be donating their time, services and money to these worthy projects. I have heard from many people who go on Work & Witness trips that their lives are forever changed.

4 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Exciting! Alaska? Oh my how exciting that your husband wants to go. I will be praying that God will open doors and provide the opportunities for finances.

One of the things I have done to raise money in the past is sell some of my "toys"! (smile)Maybe he could even put them on eBay - fun! :o) Do odd jobs like wash windows, detail cars, clean yards, etc. God seems to bless us more as we sacrifice our time and work to make His plans a reality.

Your husband has a tremendous opportunity to help others and receive a blessing as well.

Anonymous said...

How exciting!

Tea with Tiffany said...

My dream is to go on a missions trip with my husband and two kids. And be changed forever--in a good way.

Glad you have a heart for missions.

Robin said...

Thanks Indian Lake Papa! I appreciate your suggestions and your prayers!

Tiffany,

I was thinking today how neat it would be to go on a missions trip with the whole family. My kids are young now, but down the road. I am talking with my Pastor about getting a nursing home ministry going or something like that so my kids can be involved in caring for others in a special way for them.