Monday, January 28, 2008

Who do you want to be like?

Yesterday in church we talked about people that we often imitate. We imitate those we want to be like whether it be a professional athlete, a celebrity, or maybe even Jesus. Do we truly want to be like Jesus? What did He have to show for His time on earth? Not much by worldly standards. But worldly standards won't mean much when we stand before Jesus. Let's encourage each other to be like Jesus...
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:" Philippians 2:5

Our service closed with this beautiful hymn written by Thomas O. Chisholm in 1897 and his words still speak to those who listen.

O To Be Like Thee

O to be like Thee! blessed Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Refrain
O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

O to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.


Refrain

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer others to save.


Refrain

O to be like Thee! Lord, I am coming
Now to receive anointing divine;
All that I am and have I am bringing,
Lord, from this moment all shall be Thine.

Refrain

O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,
Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love;
Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,
Fit me for life and Heaven above.

Refrain

2 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

O to be like Him! Oh, so far to go, yet as the song says: "Your grace amazes me".

Robin said...

Far to go here too...