Monday, January 14, 2008

Why are people hungry, abused and homeless?

Yesterday I was contemplating the questions I frequently hear when the topics of hungry, abused and homeless people come up. We ask why God hasn’t met their basic needs and then we are thankful that we live in America the land of plenty. But there are people even here in America who wake up hungry or who live in fear of an abuser or who have no homes all no fault of their own – many are children – invisible children who long to know love and security.

We read Scriptures that assure us that God loves His children and will provide for their needs (Philippians 4:19) and Scripture informs us that we are more valuable that the birds of the air and the flowers of the field. We read in God’s Word to “seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” in Matthew 6:25-34. But as we look around us, we see want. We see pain in a mother’s eyes as she watches her children slowly starve to death in third world countries all from the comfort of our living rooms.

As some watch heartbreaking promotions for World Vision or similar organizations they ask why God failed those innocent children. But in reality God hasn’t failed them, His children (Christians) have. As a song (lyrics) by Casting Crowns asks - If we are the body why aren’t His hands reaching…? (See video and hear song)

chorus…

But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way
There is a way



If we spend our excess on the finer things in life while we watch our brothers and sisters want for what we consider basic necessities, we are failing them and God. We think we deserve incredible vacations to exotic places, concerts, massages, manicures, tickets to professional sporting events, nice clothes, expensive cars and houses, cable TV, internet hook up, and so much more. What is our rational? We work hard, so we should play hard. Is that what Jesus, our example, did while He walked on this earth?

The early Christians set an incredible example for us. “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of the bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.” Acts 2:42-45….”And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.” Acts 2:47b

“All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.” Acts 4:34-35

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you.” Matthew 6:3-4

“And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” Hebrews 12:16

“Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27

“If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” 1 John 3:17-18

How do we love the least of these?

The Scriptures above surely make it seem that giving to others should be a lifestyle, not something we do at Christmas and or Thanksgiving. If we (including me) truly followed Scripture there would be no need for government-subsidized programs to help the poor because the church would already be busy doing it. Of course we might be driving older cars and entertaining ourselves less…are we willing to pay that price?

If those Scriptures above are God’s will for me, then I am falling short. I don’t do enough for those less fortunate than me because we live in a high cost of living area without the benefit of the average income of our area. We are viewed as the less fortunate by many. I don’t really want those “amazing” things I mentioned above that some view as luxuries and others view as necessities. I really want to have treasure in heaven instead of here on earth, but I ask myself with great sadness, will I have treasure in heaven?

9 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Robin, do you recognize God's voice when he speaks?

When Judy (my wife) calls I recognize her voice (when I am listening - thats another issue! :o) ) I recognize her voice because we are one. We live with each other intimately - have for 42 years. The closer you live to Christ the easier it will be to hear his voice. He will tell you what to do, how to minister, and how to reach the lost.

When you are at the checkout in the grocery store, can you hear His voice? I hear Judy's voice at the checkout, and I am doing better at hearing Jesus' voice there. Try to make a conscious effort no matter where you are to hear His voice.

Robin said...

When I'm at the check out I usually hear the little voices of my children. I have very little time of just me - I'm usually taking care of someone. Even now while typing this I'm keeping an ear and eye behind me as my son plays. In a few minutes I need to get my children into bed... Then I'm off to repair the damages of the day and finish laundry.

I do believe that at different times of your life you have different priorities - now I believe I am to take care of my children and do what I can in the church...

Robin said...

Indian Lake Papa,

To answer your first question, I do think I recognize and hear God's voice, sadly I don't always obey.

But there are also times when I feel something more should happen and I don't hear God's voice.

So, I appreciate your prayers along the journey...

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Robin,
Thank you for stopping by Ponderings. I appreciate your comment and hope you will visit again soon.

I perused your titles, and I plan to come back when I have more time, especially because of your preveious comment on this post. I took tme to raise my children--still am as a homeschool mom, and I don't regret it at all. So much ministry can happen over a cup of coffee or sitting at a park watching the children play. I learned that simply remembering someone's name at the store and asking if we can pray for them and then asking about it the next time we saw them was HUGE in people's lives. The Kingdom is a daily business of valuing people. Big effects come from seemingly little actions, but you know that. :) Okay, enough of my preching!

Right now, I am headed to the TV room where we shall again watch *Fiddler on the Roof* and engage in character study and discussion of acting methodology.

Have a glorious day!

I write for the same reason I breathe-because if I didn't, I would die.--Isaac Asimov

To read more of my thoughts and things the Lord has placed on my heart, please visit:

http://www.passionateworship.blogspot.com/

www.jerrismunchies.com

Robin said...

Indian Lake Papa,

I'm reading a book - Justice in the Burbs: Being the Hands of Jesus Wherever You Live by Will and Lisa Samson...

and this is a quote from chapter 2

"There are many people stranded in many different locations. But hearing their voices may be as simple as choosing to listen to the person in front of us in the checkout line."

I smiled as I read it because it sounded so much like your comment.

I posted about this book in my Reading Room Blog shortly after I started reading the book because it has a lot of good stuff in it. I'm finishing chapter 4 now.

Robin

Indian Lake Papa said...

Listening is so important in todays hustle and bustle. I hope today I am a better listener than even yesterday. If we don't listen I suspect Jesus won't waste His time talking to us. He wants us to listen.

Robin said...

Hi Indian Lake Papa,

You make great points! Justice in the Burbs: Being the Hands of Jesus Wherever You Live by Will and Lisa Samson continues to challenge me. Pray I go past being challenged and truly make a difference in my world that I do something that matters!

I have info on the book in my reading room blog at http://www.nazarenemissioninternational.org/eduation/missioneducation/adults_books.html and quotes in my Think of This blog - you can get there from my profile and just search for Justice in the Burbs or the authors' names.

Keep praying!

Robin said...

Oops I left the wrong link above for the Justice in the Burbs entry its -

http://robinsreadingroom.blogspot.com/2008/01/justice-in-burbs-being-hands-of-jesus.html