Friday, January 25, 2008

Testimony of a Guatemalan Teenage Boy

I just read the story of a 15 year old boy that is an inspiration to me. I want to want to be more like him... What a moving testimony! What a challenge!

Sacrifice: A testimony from the MAC Region Guatemala City, Guatemala Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mexico and Central America Region Missionary Scott Armstrong gives his account of a recent Maxima Mission event in Guatemala City:

A few days ago I had the privilege to experience firsthand what obedience and sacrifice look like. Even as a missionary who has experienced the hand of God in many miraculous situations, I was awed at how he works in the life of his followers. Let me set this up first.

Two weeks ago my wife, Emily, and I welcomed nearly 200 youth and adults to Guatemala City, Guatemala for a week-long Maxima Mission event. Maxima Mission seeks to reach communities for Christ using evangelism, compassionate ministries, work projects, and children’s ministries. In this particular event, the youth were divided into groups of 20 and then partnered with a church planter and a mother church to plant 10 churches in needy communities here in Guatemala. After much prayer, training, and a week of hard work, the participants returned rejoicing at seeing 869 new converts and 10 churches planted for the glory of the Lord.

During this event, the participants also were able to hear many wonderful speakers who challenged them to follow the call of God on their lives, surrender everything to him in abandon, and serve as Jesus’ ambassadors in their communities and around the world.

On one occasion, Vanessa Cruz, a volunteer missionary from Nicaragua sent to plant churches in Spain, shared her testimony of how God had called her and prepared her as a child and young adult for his missionary service. She humbly admitted that, although her church and many churches around the region had been faithful in giving beyond their means so that she could be sent to Spain, she had still not been able to raise the total amount for her trip and her ministry in Europe. She shared that she would be leaving by faith Christmas Eve and spending Christmas Day 2007 on the plane.

After hearing her testimony, the entire congregation immediately laid hands on her and prayed for God’s provision and protection in her forthcoming cross-cultural ministry. Later in the service, the group showed their support by giving an offering of almost $300.00—a phenomenal total for these young people who had already sacrificed a fortune just to participate in this event.

One day after the Maxima Mission event ended, I received a call. *Danilo, a 15 year-old who had participated in the event, began to explain to me how God had changed his heart during the previous week. The phone connection was poor and I struggled to grasp what this young man was telling me, but I gathered that he also wanted to donate his computer so that Vanessa Cruz would be able to use the funds earned from the sale of the computer for her ministry in Spain. I was astonished at this, but told him that I would come by his house to chat with him and his mom the next day, and to pick up the computer.

Now I have to admit a few things. I know this family fairly well; in fact Danilo’s mom, *Maria, is the pastor of one of the 10 new church plants that were launched during the Maxima Mission event. This family has very little. Danilo’s mom and dad separated 11 years ago, and making ends meet has consistently been a struggle for them. They live in one of the more impoverished neighborhoods in Guatemala City and, especially since Maria decided two years ago to follow God’s calling to be a pastor, Danilo and his four brothers and sisters have been living by faith more than ever before. I honestly assumed that the computer that Danilo was going to donate was at least 15 years old and in fairly poor condition.

Imagine my surprise, then, when Emily and I entered their home around 5 P.M. the next day and saw in the living room a beautiful new computer with all the bells and whistles! I looked around. Dilapidated furniture, aging concrete floors, and walls that had not been painted in years surrounded us. And here on a rickety table used for sewing, sat a new computer with speakers, printer, etc. Did this teenager understand what he was doing? This computer represented nearly all that this family owned.

Danilo began to tell me that his father had given him this new computer as a gift for his birthday a year earlier. It was a great sacrifice for his dad to give him the computer and Danilo and his brothers had used it to write papers for school, listen to music, etc. He showed me the receipt from one year earlier and my eyes grew large as I read the amount—$1,350.00.

Maria was crying throughout this entire conversation and kept reiterating that she was so proud of her boy, even though she knew what this would cost their family. I looked Danilo in the eyes and asked him if he understood what he was doing. He looked me straight in the eyes and told me, “I know God is telling me to give you this computer. I want you to sell it and give all the money to the missionary from Nicaragua. I have talked with both my mom and my dad and they are in agreement with me doing this. I know what I am doing and I am very glad that I can help someone who is in need.”

We packed the computer in boxes and I loaded them into my car. Emily and I prayed with the family and I hugged Maria and Danilo good-bye. As I drove home in the rush-hour traffic, I had much time to think. To whom will I sell this computer? Where can I get the most money out of it? How can it meet a ministry need here in the region or somewhere else in the world? Our own ministry has been praying for a new computer for several months, but how does God want this computer used? Emily and I have been praying in the days following this encounter that God would give us wisdom on how to use this tool for ministry in order to benefit his kingdom and also earn the most money possible for our region’s own missionary, Vanessa Cruz.

In that trip home from Danilo’s house and in the days following, I have also considered several other, perhaps more profound, questions. What can this 15 year-old teach our region about sacrifice and obedience? Vanessa is one of seven youth from our region voluntarily giving two years of their lives to minister in Spain and the Middle East through Projects Isaiah and Caleb. Many countries in Mexico and Central America have received missionaries in the past century and now—especially in the past decade—we are seeing missionaries being sent from this region to other countries. But sending our own missionaries requires sacrifice in prayer, time, and yes—in finances. If a 15 year-old can give almost all he has, what can we give? What does God want me to do for the kingdom?

The computer is available if anyone would like to buy it and use it to advance the kingdom. And people like Danilo, Maria, and Vanessa are also available to be used by God to advance his kingdom. What about you? Will you join these three in their great sacrifice and be used by God to do great and improbable things?
--Scott Armstrong for NCN News-MAC

*Note: Because of this family’s desire to remain anonymous in their donation, their names have been changed in this story.

http://www.ncnnews.com/nphweb/html/ncn/article.jsp?id=10005710

~ All bolding done for emphasis by me.

2 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Thanks so much for the reminder on sacrifice. I pray often that I will always hear God's voice but I am afraid at times I turn a deaf ear when the conversation is about sacrifice.

Robin said...

I know, I know... :( but I want to want to love and give like this young man...