Saturday, March 29, 2008

Short Term Missions

My church is very active in missions whether it be local (compassionate ministries), in the states or abroad. Today four people - Mark, David, Roz and Lorraine left for Ethiopia to begin their Work and Witness (W & W) trip. While in Ethiopia team members will be constructing homes for widows, using local materials. At the same time people from the community will be working on the Training Center Project. W & W team members raised money to help with the cost of building materials. Initially it was planned that team members would participate in building the Training Center, but it was decided that locals should do the labor to give them a sense of ownership.

The W & W team will be showing the Jesus Film during their time in Africa as well. Please pray that our Ethiopian brothers and sisters' hearts are receptive to God's plan for their lives. Please keep, Mark, David, Roz and Lorraine in your prayers as they sacrifice their time and share their love. They will return on April 13th.

Side Note: Some of you remember Daniel - his dad, Mark and his Aunt Lorraine are team members from our church. His other Aunt Carolyn from another church is also on this mission trip. They are going during a time when it would have been easier to say no because of the trials they have been going through with Daniel's surgery and seizures and with their mom, Joan. Joan was diagnosed with cancer before Daniel's surgery and has had a stroke and some other difficulties as well. Please keep their whole family in prayer during this W & W trip and beyond. Also keep Laura (Daniel's mom) in prayer as she will be shouldering all the responsibilities for her family while Mark is away. Laura said she will be sending an update on Daniel soon too.

From Laura (Mark's wife)- 4-1-08

Hi Robin:
On the way to church last Sunday, I was missing Mark so much, then this song came on the radio by Audio Adreneline "Hands and Feet". I cried almost all the way to church because all I could think about was Mark and the team. I am so proud of all of them, especially my husband. I wish I could be there with him right now.

The link to the song and video is below, it is powerful. I think this video was filmed in Haiti, it is one of the poorest nations. Those people live off a dollar a day over there.

God bless,
Laura

P.S.: Please feel free to post my message above and the link to this song on your blog.

12 comments:

Melanie said...

I look forward to hearing about their trip!

Indian Lake Papa said...

Prayers for their trip and also the family concerns!

Robin said...

I just got an email from one of the spouses -

Robin,

Roz called few minutes ago and stated they arrived safely in Ethiopia. They are tired, glad to be able to stand up, but ready for some sleep in a bed. They are seven hours ahead of Eastern time. Please continue to pray for the group's safety and ministry.

Mike

Indian Lake Papa said...

Mama's home !! Had a great trip - she laid floor tile!! :o)

Robin said...

They worked her hard, now she has to come home to all that laundry...for shame...

Robin said...

Pray especially for the team from our church and the others that are in Ethiopia for this outreach. This morning in Sunday school two of the spouses were sharing that they may not be allowed to show the Jesus Film afterall because of some issues going on in the country.

Pray that they will know when God opens a door and that HE will give them the wisdom they need to do HIS will.

Robin said...

Side note - My husband is going on a Work and Witness Trip in July. Pray for him too! I will post about it at a later date. Thanks!

Kimberly McKay said...

They're in my prayers! Thanks for keeping me updated. Please pass onto Mark that Cheri and Kim, from Woodbridge back in the day, are praying for him.

Robin said...

Sure will - I used to go to Woodbridge a while back too.

Robin said...

Worn Out Woman - I was there in the 90's - so before you were there.

Robin said...

I'm going to add an update from Laura (Mark's wife) to this post. The team left on Saturday and Sunday, Laura and the boys drove to church while Mark was in Ethiopia...

Robin said...

I decided to post it here too...

Hi Robin:

On the way to church last Sunday, I was missing Mark so much, then this song came on the radio by Audio Adreneline "Hands and Feet". I cried almost all the way to church because all I could think about was Mark and the team. I am so proud of all of them, especially my husband. I wish I could be there with him right now.

The link to the song and video is below, it is powerful. I think this video was filmed in Haiti, it is one of the poorest nations. Those people live off a dollar a day over there.

God bless,
Laura

P.S.: Please feel free to post my message above and the link to this song on your blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NeacJatGW8