Sunday, March 23, 2008

Praying for...

Many times we pray for patience, boldness or courage, but we don't want the opportunities to prove that we are learning the lessons we just want God to work an instant miracle and make those virtues exist in us.

Its easy to feel kind, hospitable and compassionate when we are showing those virtues to people who are similar to us. The real challenge appears when we have to show kindness to someone who treats us unkindly, takes advantage of us, or has a different world view.

I've noticed that my children are "perfect saints" when everything is going their way, but their halos start to slide when everything isn't going according to their perfect plan. I wonder where they learned that? No, I don't wonder, I know. I so badly want to be a good example to my children and show them that I can be a vessel for God even in situations that aren't pleasant for me.

Let's encourage each other along in the faith and lift each other up in prayer as we strive to become more like our risen Savior and live the fruit of the Spirit in our daily lives, not just when its comfortable or easy!

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23

When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. Acts 11:23

I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles. Romans 1:11-13

He is RISEN! He is RISEN indeed!

14 comments:

Carol said...

It's so true, Robin, that if we are truly serious about what we pray for, God will have a different way of answering our prayer than we expect. I once prayed to be delivered from what people thought of me. Whoa...did I step out of the frying pan and into the fire with that prayer! So when you mention praying for boldness or courage or patience, and yet not wanting wanting to experience the opportunities for such growth, you have hit the nail on the head. They are definitely not instant miracles. God doesn't just "zap" us with the answers or virtures we seek...it is a process. Are we willing to go through the process? It's a good thing He doesn't tell us ahead of time what that entails!!

Praying for you, Robin...for the doctor's appointment tomorrow, and for your other needs. This may have been a trying weekend for you, but I have no doubt that you allowed Jesus to shine through you, even when you may not have felt like He was.

Excellent post...you are so very articulate, and your points come across so clearly. You should be writing for a daily devotional. Have you ever been published, or tried to be?

Robin said...

Carol,

You are so kind! See you are an easy person to like :)

I have my appointment in the morning - so we shall see! Thanks so much for your prayers for all my requests.

Feel free to share requests you have as well.

I do want to be want Jesus wants usually unless my flesh gets in the way and I have to confess and start afresh. Pray that I become more of what God wants each day - one step at a time!

Indian Lake Papa said...

Praying for you - wondering how your appointment goes. I pray that I am encourager to you - I am a tormentor of Carol's! :o) That's almost like mentor!

Robin said...

The appointment went well. He said it was just an ocular migraine more of an annoyance than anything. He told me the headaches and other symptoms I've been having are part of the migraine symptoms. The zigzag flashing lights were the ocular symptoms. He gave me some suggestions to deal with any future migraines even though they were not severe. Thanks for asking and praying!

Indian Lake Papa said...

Whew! Thats a relief! Migraines I am sure are no fun (I never have head aches) so will keep you still in prayer!

Robin said...

Thanks - much appreciated, but you know the funny thing is I never would have called these headaches that I've had for the past 4-5 days migraines. They have been very mild. The doctor said they could stay the same, get worse or disappear. The headaches haven't been constant either. Some of the other symptoms are more annoying than the headache like the dizziness, but at least its not severe vertigo.

Robin said...

oops I lost my train of thought... the doctor said not all migraines are severe - news to me. The flash of lights that I saw about 20-30 minutes before the headache hit is supposed to be the aura that comes before the migraine. So I hope to avoid the aura in the future and the headaches. I still have the mild headaches now though.

Carol said...

Robin, I am so glad it turned out as it did...you must be greatly relieved. I was prayig for you early this morning, so I'm glad to know the doctor was able to make the diagnosis and put this to rest. I hope you do not have any more occurances!

Papa...my tormentor...not my mentor...yes, he got that right! Although now I am reading his posts, I'm starting to see him in a new light! He's still the big tease...you never know what he is going to say, but he keeps everyone around this campground on their toes....or laughing. He's s great asset to the neighborhood. His wife is the one that works, however...she's the painter and volunteers for all of our youth camps...works in registration checking head lice!! What a gal! IL Papa's hair wouldn't give lice any place to hide.

Robin said...

Thanks Carol :)

You are funny I like your hair comments :)

Indian Lake Papa said...

Hey! Leave my hair out of it! You guys are characters! Your still "My friend" Carol (inside joke)! Me? A tease? Never!

Anonymous said...

I really needed this! I am having one of those really trying days today. Until I read this post I looked at it as just that--a really crappy day. But now I see that it's a chance to grow some fruit of the spirit.

Robin said...

Hi Jamie,

We all have room to grow more of HIS fruit each and every day if we allow HIM to do the cultivating. I've been realizing that if I show fruit only when its convenient or easy it probably not HIS fruit. So let's encourage each other along.

Anonymous said...

I shudder to think what would happen should my little world completely crumble one day... it's ridiculous how I can fall apart over the smallest inconveniences or frustrations. I tell my kids constantly to BE FLEXIBLE! And I am trying to practice it myself, but the going is slow. I am eternally grateful for the patience and kindness and gentleness of our good God.

Robin said...

Hi Jen,

I hear you... It's great that God is patient and that we are open to learning from HIM and becoming more like HIM. The encouragement we receive from fellow Christians can make a world of difference. Let's keep fighting the good fight in Jesus name!