Saturday, October 18, 2008

Discernment Tests

My friend, Carla sent me a neat email and I thought it would be beneficial to share with others too. Carla was my room-mate in college and she has interesting perspective on life (that we could all learn from) because she grew up as a missionary kid in South America. Her pastor preached a sermon a couple weeks ago that included the following:

1. The World Test – (Does it make you part of the world?)

2. The Quality Test – (Is it good for you?)

3. The Temple Test – (Your body is God’s temple. Is it good for your temple?)

4. The Glory Test – (Does it glorify God?)

5. The Blessings Test – (Can I ask God’s blessing on it?)

6. The Reputation Test – (Will it damage my testimony?)

7. The Consideration Test – (How will it affect others?)

8. The Appearance Test – (Will it look bad or immodest?)

9. The Weight Test – (Will this hold me back from doing God’s will and running the race?)

10. The Coming of Christ Test – (If Christ came back while I was doing this would I be ashamed?)

11. The Companion Test – (Can I invite Christ to be with me?)

12. The Peace Test – (Do I have perfect peace after praying about it?)

Remember: There are some sins that even when they are forgiven you will still carry the scars.

7 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

We are tested daily - some days more tests than others. Robin - what was your GPA today ???

Robin said...

Below average, I'm afraid. I'm stressing over trying to get my house ready for my in-laws to come and paint the kitchen tomorrow. It was really short notice and I have so much to do... I climbed on counters to remove trinkets from on top of my cabinets, I cleaned them all and wrapped and put them in boxes in my living room - then did the same with my china cabinet. Removed pictures from the walls, and on and on and on... I had to pace myself because I wear out quickly now, but I also need to do the regular pick up, dishes, laundry, grocery shopping, etc... and I feel like I'm coming up short. I still have HOT spots in my house that look absolutely hideous...aughhh Calgon....

Paula said...

Great checklist.

Don't do too much. People will not only understand if you don't get some things done, they will not want you to do to much and wear yourself out--including your inlaws.

Jen said...

Wow. That's really good.

Carol said...

Good bunch of tests...thanks for posting the reminders of how we can check up on ourselves!

Indian Lake Papa said...

HEy _ I think your GPA was probably higher! Love you Robin - will be praying for you in a few minutes as I hold mama's hand in bed.

Robin said...

Queen - thanks for the encouragement :) much appreciated!

Jen - thanks for stopping in and for the smiles at your blog.

Carol - great to hear from you - I will email you soon (when is that - not sure).


Papa - thanks for your prayers keep them coming...I still need them...