Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember 9-11


This picture was taken on October 27, 2001 in Arlington, VA at the Pentagon.

September 11, 2001 was a beautiful September day. I prepared breakfast for my husband and one year old daughter and left them watching Veggie Tales. I hurried off to work (part time billing job) at a friend's house. I hadn't turned on the TV or radio yet and was listening to Christian music on a cassette tape. I was feeling great. The tape ended, so I popped it out and the news came on from the radio saying something about the third catastrophe of the day. I was confused because I had no idea there had been any problem yet. The newscaster said something about the Pentagon being under attack as he spoke. I ran into Dianna's (my boss and friend) house and said do you have a TV somewhere that we can watch? She looked at me perplexed (it wasn't like me to rush in and ask for a TV, usually I just went straight to my computer after a quick hello. I told her what I had heard and we both rushed to her family room and sat transfixed in front of the TV for a long time as we watched the twin towers crumble and other horrible things I don't care to repeat. Needless to say, I don't think either of us got any work done that morning. I tried calling my husband and all circuits were busy. We didn't know what was coming next, so Dianna sent me home to my husband and baby.

About six weeks after that horrific day, we traveled to the Pentagon where the clean-up was well under way. There were still people all over the place mourning for the lost lives on September 11th. Today 9-11-08 they dedicated the September 11 memorial at the Pentagon, I wasn't there, but I watched the ceremony on TV this morning.

Where were you on September 11, 2001? Do you have any memories you care to share?

We must all be ready to meet Jesus at any time because there isn't one of us who knows what the next moment holds. We can trust HIM with our lives no matter what!

10 comments:

Life Adapted said...

September 11th, 2001 is the reason we decided to homeschool. There are 5 members in our family and we were in 4 different locations that morning. We srambled to get to each other and the decision that had been on the backburner was made - we would homeschool the children. By mid-October we had the materials we needed to begin, the children were pulled out of school. I was a member of the local school board and assumed they wouldn't want me, a homeschooling parent, on the board anymore, but they asked me to stay and I did for more than a year. I had begun to write a story of our journey to homeschooling, but never finished it. That day, 9/11/01, changed our the course of our lives. Great post. Be blessed.

Robin said...

Life Adapted - Wow! I'd love to read your story (what you have so far) if you want to email it sometime.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Indian Lake Papa said...

I was at work - went to the break room to watch the events - last fall we went to ground aero to put this all into perspective. Life can change in one heart beat --------

Robin said...

Thanks Julie - I will delete your comment and email you now. I sent Kay an email earlier, but didn't hear back.

Robin said...

Ok, Julie I deleted your info and sent you an email - I hope it goes through...

Robin said...

Papa - It sure can change...we have to be ready!

Robin said...

Jessica,

I still remember that picture of you praying at the Pentagon - do you remember where it was found online?

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that it was your blog that reminded me to make my post about Anna's birthday! I had forgotten in the midst of her party, etc., and I meant to comment here, and I guess I went straight to my blog and started writing! Sorry! But yes, we must all be ready because Father can request our presence in His kingdom at any moment!!

Robin said...

Hi Renee - your daughter is beautiful! What a treasure to receive especially on the day she came and fortunately before the catastrophe's started so you weren't stressed during the birth.