Thursday, February 5, 2009

How much would you sell Jesus for?

I received the story below in an email - not sure if it's a true story or not, but it's definitely worth pondering...

Several years ago, a preacher from out-of-state accepted a call to a church in Houston, Texas. Some weeks after he arrived, he had an occasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change. As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, 'You'd better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it.' Then he thought, 'Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Anyway, the bus company gets too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a 'gift from God' and keep quiet.

When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, and then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, 'Here, you gave me too much change

'The driver, with a smile, replied, 'Aren't you the new preacher in town?''

Yes' he replied.'

Well, I have been thinking a lot lately about going somewhere to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you at church on Sunday.

When the preacher stepped off of the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, 'Oh God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter.

~ author unknown

6 comments:

Paula said...

Good story. Honesty is the best policy. We never know when others are watching.

jel said...

got a chill reading that!

Robin said...

Queen - yes honesty is always the best policy even when its not convenient because like you said others are watching.

Jel - yes, me too. It really doesn't matter whether this is a true story or not - it has a powerful lesson either way.

Life Adapted said...

Hi Robin, my friend that just died told me that he used to watch his father like a hawk after he declared his faith in Christ. He was watching him to see if he really would walk the walk and to see if he was happy to do it. He was so proud to say that his daddy, walked the walk and loved it! Thanks for posting this. What blessings we have when we follow Christ all the way, in all things.
Be blessed.

Robin said...

Life Adapted - great comment - thanks for sharing. We have to walk the talk... I will be by your blog soon - need a smile :)

Indian Lake Papa said...

Thanks Robin - I pray others see Jesus in me!