Friday, June 27, 2008

Bed Rest

Prior to my pregnancy complications, I never really thought too much about what bed rest would mean to a person, but through this experience God has taught me so much. Some dear friends have showered me with God's love in some very practical ways and in some not so practical ways and they have all been greatly appreciated.

Some kind deeds:

* A friend from my church has delivered amazing meals to me twice
* Various ones have called and emailed to see how I'm doing
* Two ladies from my church loaned me DVDs
* A friend came over and painted my fingernails one day
* Last night a friend came over and baked a blueberry pie while we visited. Then she put some laundry away and washed the dishes in my sink
* One dear lady had an edible creation delivered (fruit – yum) – this was especially nice because I’m a fruit fanatic and many kinds of flowers aggravate my allergies.
* Another friend came over with her daughter and they cleaned bathrooms and vacuumed and made some meals.

During my time of rest I’ve had time to think about things that I could do that would make the life of a person on bed rest easier:

* Its best not to ask what you can do because most of us won't say anything because we don't want to admit we need help and we don’t want to feel as if we are a burden to someone else.
* Bring meals in containers you don't need back
* Bring fresh fruit
* Take some quick fix meals like sandwich meat or peanut butter and jelly that spouses or children can prepare themselves.
* Take paper products so they don't have to worry about the sink full of dishes
* Make sure they have necessary items like toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, and tissues on hand.
* Stop by and see if you can take out the trash or recycling
* Mow the lawn, rake leaves, shovel their snow, etc.
* Laundry
* Vacuum
* Call to check up on them if they are able to come to the phone or take them a cordless phone that can be placed by their place of rest. Some people may prefer quiet while others crave companionship – find out which the person needs by checking with the Pastor or someone who knows them well like a spouse or close friend.
* Ask if they are up for a visit (it can be lonely or they may need quiet depending on the circumstances)
* Send cards of prayers and encouragement
* Take them a CD of the sermon
* Pray for them, but let them know you are praying. You may call and pray with them over the phone, pray while you visit, write your prayer in a card you send – or if you are uncomfortable with those at least tell them you are praying. Prayer is powerful and encouraging.
* Send encouraging Scripture verses
* Loan them DVD's to watch or books to read or volunteer to pick up some library books
* Think of a unique way to share your love and concern specific to your gifts and talents

I am confident that everything is healing and that I should be lifted from bed rest by July 2nd after my doctor’s appointment - I will update after my appointment. Thank you for your continued prayers for me and the little treasure.

29 comments:

Carol said...

I'm so glad you are able to make a post. This is an excellent post to give us some ideas on how to assist those who are on bed rest. Sounds like you've thought of every thing. I'm glad someone sent you the fruit bouquet. It crossed my mind...but I didn't follow through. Someone else deserves a blessing for that! You've had some neat things done for you this past week. I do hope bed rest is lifted next week, or you may get a little restless! I'll be in touch!

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol said...

Robin, my first comment was posted twice in error, so I deleted one.

Tea with Tiffany said...

So thankful God is using people to show you His love and care. And thankful you are feeling better.

Great tips on bed rest.

Indian Lake Papa said...

You are in our prayers! Get your rest!

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to hear your update, Robin! I'll be glad when you are able to move around again (I miss your emails),but take time to rest and listen to your body (and baby). God is with you, and all of us are too, by heart! Hang in there! (((big hugs))) Love & Prayers, Linda oxo

Heather said...

Hi Sister,

I am sooooo glad to see this post! I've been praying for you and a little worried, too.

What an awesome post this is. I was on bedrest with two of my four children and it stunk (stank? stinks?). I could've used ALL of those things! I will definitely keep them in mind for the next person I hear is on bedrest.

Rest easy my friend. I will be praying that you are released from bedrest...if it is God's Will:)

Love ya!!!!

Robin said...

Carol, Tiffany, Jim, Heather and Linda,

Thank you all so much for your kind words, prayers and love! You all mean so much.

Momstheword said...

Great post. People are usually at a loss to know what to do. Those were really great suggestions. Some woman don't want some other woman messing in her kitchen or cleaning her bathroom, etc. So asking first is a good idea. Hope all goes well.

Robin said...

Momstheword,

I hear you about not wanting anyone else in the kitchen or bathroom, but fortunately it was a very close friend.

Julie said...

I'm glad you feel a little better and think all is healing up. I was just thinking about you right before I checked this blog once more, and there you were! Once you get the all clear from the Doc don't you go and do anything silly like run 27 miles or anything! Take it easy and enjoy the pregnancy as much as you can. I will remember you in my prayers too.

Robin said...

Thanks for your prayers Julie! You made me smile with your don't run 27 miles or anything. I'm pretty sure that I'm putting my gym membership on hold for six months (that is the longest I can hold it) so I'm not tempted to push myself too hard. If I'm cleared to exercise again - its not going to be much and at a much lower intensity because before the problems started my doctor told me I had to limit the intensity and the mileage to 1-2 miles a day at a slower pace with lots of breaks. So...I don't really need to go to the gym for that - I can just walk around the neighborhood with my kids who don't walk fast enough to cause a problem (probably not even fast enough to raise my heart rate). There will be time for that after the baby is born. I appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers Julie!

Life Adapted said...

Hey Robin, Loved the ideas of how to help someone on bed rest. We all want to be able to help friends, but sometimes don't know how. I love the idea about library books (and our library has a great movie section, too). It's free, something for the whole family and something everyone can do. I am praying for you and the baby and am sure God is listening. So glad you are using your time to observe your family and think of things in a positive way. God will bess this time.

Indian Lake Papa said...

Just checking in to make sure my "daughter" is doing okay!

Robin said...

Life Adapted - Our library has two DVD sections one for kids and another for adults (of course both include tons of educational movies) but we have a pretty decent selection. Your prayers and kind words mean so much!

Papa - I skipped Sunday School, but went to church this morning. I tried really hard not to be "Robin." You know the person zipping in and out greeting everyone and doing a bunch of projects. I still worked on two projects but from a seated position. I skipped Sunday school because I wasn't sure I had enough energy for church and SS. My main reasons for going to church this morning was an encouragement project we are doing for two teenage boys from our church who are going on a W & W trip tomorrow and of course my favorite offering of the year - World Mission Broadcast was received this morning and I didn't want to miss it. I must admit I was zapped of energy before church was over, so the rest of today will be either laying down on the couch or reclining at the computer with my feet up. I feel like a lazy bum...but I know I have to do it.

Melanie said...

Sometimes..usually..an experience like this opens up our eyes to what we can do for people! I love this list..it teaches me what I can do...as I have never had to be on bed rest...thanks!

Praying that you will be able to get up after your appointment!

Paula said...

Great list, Robin. I'm glad you are doing better. It's good to get to go to church and good to come home and rest. Blessing.

Indian Lake Papa said...

You be careful daughter! The lesson in SS class today was about Sarah who laughed when the angels told her husband at the age of 99 his wife would have a baby next year! :o) Just think - in 60 + years you could go through this again!!

Robin said...

Mel - thanks for stopping by and for your encouraging words!

Queen - thanks for caring!

Papa - you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

Those are terrific tips.

Hope you are back on your feet soon - and I do hope that everything goes well from here out. There is nothing like being down to make us realize what a blessing MOBILITY is!!! (by the way, I'm impressed - 5 MILES A DAY! wowzers.)

Try to enjoy your time of rest. We'll be praying for a safe delivery!

Jen

Anonymous said...

Robin, you are in my prayers.
I love what you shared here....you are making the best of it:-)
love, Storie

Robin said...

Jen and Storie - thanks for stopping by and for your prayers.

I've been dealing with mild sciatic pain for about a week and yesterday it graduated into not fun... Sciatic pain is something I deal with periodically without being pregnant, but being pregnant just intensifies it. Thanks for your prayers!

linda said...

Robin, is your doctor appt tomorrow? Let us know how it goes, ok? :)

Love, Linda oxo

Robin said...

Yes Linda, I go tomorrow and I will update after my appointment sometime.

Faith said...

Thanks for these great tips!

Faith said...

Thanks for these great tips!

Robin said...

Thanks for stopping by Faith - bet you are excited about your appointment on Monday - hearing the heartbeat for the first time is AMAZING! What a miracle!

carebear said...

Hi Robin. I'm a friend of Randi's and found your blog through her. I've just recently come off a three month stint of bedrest, so let me know if you are going stir crazy. I know how difficult it is...especially since my first pregnancy was so easy and enjoyable. It seems you have things covered though and a tremendous support system through friends and family. That helps SO much! Glad things are going well for you, but you and your little one will be in my prayers.

Robin said...

Hi Carebear - sorry for my delay in responding to your message. Life gets crazy sometimes... Were you on bed rest most recently for pregnancy? I'm off bed rest now, but am still supposed to be taking it easy and enjoying the AC as apposed to the sunshine...of course that's not all bad :) I've had time to do lots of reading, which is great!

My husband is in Alaska with a Work and Witness Team (short term missions group) but he will be back soon. Busy days that is for sure.

Thanks again for stopping by - I try to update now and then regarding the pregnancy and post other things as God lays them on my heart.