Thursday, January 15, 2009

National Day of Service

January 19, 2009 is the National Day of Service. January is also "Volunteer Month." There are many ways we can donate our time and energy to good causes. Consider donating food to food banks, clothing, and baby supplies to crisis pregnancy centers, and you can even give your blood, etc. Think about ways you can contribute or give back to your community. Many schools require community service hours from their students, maybe you could join the kids of your community by doing likewise.

There are several opportunities listed on my sidebar - one section is listed under the heading "Do Something that Matters" - scroll down to check it out on the right.

Last night at church our Bible study was on Matthew 25. Every time I read that passage of Scripture I think of "I Was Hungry."

I Was Hungry...

I was hungry and you formed a humanities group to discuss my hunger.


I was imprisonedand you crept off quietly to your chapel and prayed for my release.

I was naked and in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance.

I was sick and you knelt and thanked God for your health.

I was homeless andyou preached to me the spiritual love of God.

I was lonely and you left me alone to pray for me.

You seem so holy, so close to God,
But I am still very hungry --and lonely --and cold.


~ found at the Oak Street House Exhibit at a missions and ministry conference in San Diego.

My kids love to shovel snow (we haven't had any yet this winter) and to collect trash along side of the road.

Please share in the comments section ways that you give back to your community or donate your time - not to brag or toot your own horn, but to share ideas with others.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."~ Colossians 3:17

6 comments:

Life Adapted said...

Oh gosh - many years back my father instilled in me the value of service. My family is always finding ways to serve God by serving His people. We train puppies for The Seeing Eye, we prepare and serve a meal at a local soup kitchen once a month, we sponsor a child in Uganda (Fred), we've been a Big sister and a Big brother, we mentor a heroine addict, we visit the local nursing home . . . we do whatever God calls us to do. My husband and my son go to a boys prison once a week to teach a Bible study and just on Monday 3 boys asked to be baptized. This will be the third Batisim at this prison. Last time my son was able to help immerse a boy. If we ask, God will equip us to serve Him. James 1:22-27 calls us to action. Robin, thanks for the post and for the opportunity to share some of the things we do in the name of Christ. Be blessed.

Robin said...

Life Adapted - Thank you so much for sharing some of the ways you and your family have been able to serve! You are such an inspiration. I want to be like you when I grow up :) Thank you so much for the love you share, the guidance you give and the service you do for so many!

Indian Lake Papa said...

MaMa and I stay very busy - service is what is expected. I Don't think it is an option!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Wow, amazing quote. I may copy it for my blog soon...

Thanks for challenging us to put action to our thoughts and words.

And thank you for reading my Laced with Grace devo this week. Appreciate your comment. Hope your family is well. I bet your baby is growing big!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Tiffany

Robin said...

Papa - I know you and Mama live to serve. You are both great examples of walking the walk and talking the talk! Thank you both!

Robin said...

Hi Tiffany - not sure if you saw my other comment on your blog about enjoying your article in the Focus on the Family magazine - wasn't it along the lines of this post too?

I really love that quote I posted too - it hits you where it hurts.

Have a great day!