Monday, December 15, 2008

Prayer: The Most Beautiful Gift

I recently received one of the most touching gifts for my precious baby daughter. I will cherish the card that came with it until the day I pass it along to my daughter in her scrapbook.

"Enclosed is a blanket I made for J. The funny thing is that I finished it on November 30th (the date of her birth). Each time I sat down to crochet I would say a prayer for J regarding a certain aspect of her life. I prayed for her health as a fetus, her birth, her immunizations, her teeth, her bones, organs and development. I prayed for her infancy, her toddlerhood, her youth, her schooling. I prayed for the Special Spiritual gift God would give her and that she would come to know Him early. The outer layers of the blanket represent time spent praying for her future spouse, her marriage and ultimately her children. Each stitch was done in love. I sat at God's feet asking for blessing upon blessing for J, you, Rick and your other children. May God hear each word that was prayed on your daughter's behalf."

What a beautiful gift! Thank you so much to the special one who spent time in prayer for my newborn and family. I am greatly touched by your love and commitment to prayer! Thank you!

I encourage others to consider the gift of prayer my daughter and family received when sharing of their love while gift giving whether it be for baby gifts, Christmas or birthdays. Telling the person of your prayers in a written note (like my friend did) takes the gift to the next level because your note will remind the person of your prayers each time the note is read. Giving should always be bathed in prayer!

Again thank you to this special person!!

Edited December 21, 2008 to add:

I was just reading at Tiffany's blog and found a great quote on prayer that goes well with this post...

"If we truly love people, we will desire for them far more than it is within our power to give them, and this will lead us to prayer. Intercession is a way of loving others."

~ Richard Foster, quoted from Prayer

17 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Prayer - the one gift that we can give to each other. Praying now for you and your family. When mama prays it is from her heart!

Suzanne said...

Just stumbled across your blog...

what a beautiful, beautiful gift! How privileged we are to be a part of God's family.

linda said...

That is beautiful, Robin! Thanks for sharing that with us. :)

I apologize so much that I have not posted on here and congratulated you! I am soooooooo, soooooo, sooooo incredibly happy for your wonderful, precious family and precious addition!

God Bless you and your sweet family always!

Love & Hugs, Linda oxo

Paula said...

What a precious gift. And what a wonderful friend.

Robbie Iobst said...

Lovely, Robin. And congratulations on the blessing of new life!

Life Adapted said...

Speechless

Robin said...

That is beautiful! And such a great idea. I wanted to let you know that I am moving my blogs over to wordpress.
http://girlforgod.wordpress.com
hope you can come by and check it out and let me know what you think. God Bless!

Robin said...

Papa - Yes prayer is the most important. I appreciate the prayers of you and Mama!

Suzanne - Glad you stopped by - I checked out your blog last night - I like it. Pray for my little neighbor, Suzanne when I saw your name I thought of her. She just turned 1 and has been hospitalized for the last 17 days multiple health problems.

Robin said...

Linda let me know when you want to stop by - just call first to make sure we are here.

Queen - yes it's a beautiful gift I will cherish foreever.

Robbie - I'm so addicted to my little treausre. Pray for her she is congested today and I was up all night with her holding her on my chest to help her breathe better.

Life Adapted - Yes Speechless :)

Robin - I was confused for half a second when I saw your message - I thought it was me... Yes, I will check out your new blog.

LisaShaw said...

This was extremely touching to me. As one who views prayer as an incredible honor, this really brought down the tears as it's such a warm and loving gift to give. You have an amazingly loving friend and one to cherish as I'm sure you know.

God bless you and your family.

Melanie said...

Precious! :)

Robin said...

Lisa - Thanks for stopping by - I so agree with you about prayer! I checked out your blog - it looks great.

Melanie - Thanks :) I so agree with your comment!

Robin said...

My husband and older kids are at church while me and the little one are home. Keep her in your prayers she has some bug that has left her very congested and coughing and sneezing. It breaks my heart to see such a little one in pain.

I was just reading at Tiffany's blog - http://teawithtiffany.blogspot.com/and found this great quote on prayer that goes with the prayer blanket post...

"If we truly love people, we will desire for them far more than it is within our power to give them, and this will lead us to prayer. Intercession is a way of loving others."

~ Richard Foster, quoted from Prayer

Faith said...

Aww, I hope she gets better soon!
This is a wonderful entry btw. :)

Indian Lake Papa said...

Have a Happy New Year! If you get a chance, swing by my blog - I posted a special prayer request.

Robin said...

Papa - Happy New Year to you too! Must feed little girl now, but I'm praying already.

Robin said...

LA - Thank you, again for the beautiful gift and for your prayers for my soon to be two year old!